Sunday 8 November 2015

Thoughts from watching Beautiful Losers

Watching 'Beautiful Losers' made me realise that my question for my COP essay draws parallels to the creative industries. I was previously concerned about whether my topic could link to a practical investigation but this has helped me to understand that it can. The question of 'has cultural blending changed the way we define ourselves?' links to creative practitioners because artistic influences from all over the world have sparked the birth of new movements and made us so much more aware of other cultures' styles and methods of making work. 

These were the points I gathered from watching the film that I thought could relate to my question. 

People devote themselves to a certain subculture, lifestyle or creative practice but then they often move on to something elsePeople identify themselves as being a part of a certain group but this is only a temporary identity. Subcultures are ever changing and the 'underground' will at some point become celebrated. People move on and change so is it right to ever label yourself as one specific thing? Because if this disappears, then what are you?

What am I? Don't pull yourself into one box. Don't be defined by one single thing, you are a mixture of lots of different things which builds up the individual being that is you. Why is there a need to limit yourself? 

Aspire to reach a range of people. It feels good to connect people through your work. The blending of cultures is in an effort for people to connect and bond, not to recognise differences and divide.

The people in this documentary can't be labelled as 'beautiful losers', nor can they be labelled as just painters or just sculptors. They are just artists. This relates because this looks at my theme of not being identified by a certain label, you don't fall into one category, you are a unique mixture of parts of a lot of categories. Looking at creative practitioners in this way is a smaller scale version of looking at the entire human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment