Saturday 31 October 2015

Drawing as Thinking

ESSAY - specific, focussed, interesting to me.
PRACTICAL - broad, exploratory, speculative, relative, open.

Drawings in relation to these topics...



Political + NHS

Overworking + Social

Combining to images from previous sections to link to my own topic.

I struggled with this part more than anything because I couldn't really find a connection between the past topics and my essay topic. I put the previous meanings of the images aside and used the drawings to make new meanings. The first few attempts did not get across what I wanted to say but then I started to get some meaning across. The top left drawing is about language barriers which was difficult to show without using words but it links to my theme of cultural blending. The image below that is more specifically related to my them of identity because it shows the different parts of the face on a cut out sheet to show that you as a person are made up of multiple parts. 

I felt like these were tenuous links but I understood the purpose of the task. It did broaden my thinking in terms of image making and helped me to understand that you really can start anywhere when drawing about your topic, something will come out of it in the end. 


This is the work I did in the session about hats, drawing hats from each theme. The hat in the box in the bottom right is relating to my topic because it is a mixture of a variety of cultural hats, merging religion, culture and nationalities. It shows that one person can have parts from all different places and ideas and don't have to be defined by one single hat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment