Tuesday 3 January 2017

Developing Process

Continued sketchbook development on previous key paintings...


I feel like I may have jumped to a quick decision when using the brush pen for the line work. I do like the way it works but I want to try out a few other options to check I am making the right decision. These are some gouache paintings I did, then photocopied to experiment with line on top of them. 




Ink and end of paintbrush - this makes the lines a lot thicker so continuous line would eventually look clumpy. I opted for minimal lines to show shape and suggest detail. It fits with the idea of things being fragmented and pieces missing. 


Pencil crayon and fineliner - the pencil looks too grainy and doesn't provide enough of a contrast against the block colours. The fineliner causes a similar problem due to how thin the line is. When the lines are gone over more than once they begin to look messy. These are both not working.


I like how my line work is improving the more I do this. I feel like I have a good control over the brush pen and the process shows confusion but not clumsiness. The brush pen is smooth yet still shows a tangle and confusion.

I asked some of my peers in the studio for their opinions and this final page (pink and green) was a clear winner. It was interesting that they didn't even know what the project was about but they sad these looked the 'nicest'. After I explained the concept to them they understood better and still agreed that this one worked best. This is what I want, my concept needs to be reflected in the drawing style but the images need to be appealing to consumers if the aim is to make people buy them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment