Tuesday 10 January 2017

Time Management Reflection

I have to say I have really struggled to stick to my time plans for this module, mainly because my project was so uncertain at the beginning that I didn't really know what to plan for. I understand that it is important to plan ahead, and I have been able to use my time plans as a vague guide for where I should be at certain points, but I find it much easier to plan out my workload on a weekly basis. This usually happens after a tutorial or crit when I have a clear sense of direction and I can plan to achieve what I want to for the next check-in point. 

I think my organisation overall has been better than usual for this module, especially considering past experiences of context of practice. This is a module I often found hard to feel motivated for and therefore key putting things off, but this year I have actually been interested in what I am investigating and this has meant the process has been overall more enjoyable. Doing my research over the summer helped me so much because I could actually spend the time properly reading what I needed to read instead of skimming books under pressure. I can't believe I'm saying this but yes, cop has been moderately enjoyable. 

Anyway, improvements for time management for future modules...
  • Use a long scale time plan to mark out mini-deadlines to stick to. 
  • Make separate time plans on a weekly basis or whenever appropriate to make sure these mini targets are reached. This allows the planning to be more adaptable and takes into account a change in direction of project or unforeseen circumstances. 
  • This will also help me to avoid feeling like I'm going off track or I'm falling behind just because I'm not meeting those initial targets I set for myself which are no longer relevant. 
  • Use time effectively! Don't sit staring at a computer screen with a mind blank for hours when I would much rather be drawing. And when I do actually feel like writing/blogging, make the most of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment