Monday 2 January 2017

Subject Matter Research and Decisions

Over Christmas I gave some consideration to the subject matter I am going to use. I visited some shops in Leeds and back home in Loughborough. I also used old reference photos for past projects for inspiration. 
  • Blue Rinse, Leeds. 
  • Retro Boutique, Leeds. 
  • Swiss Cottage, Leeds (photographs I already had). 
  • Winged Ape, Loughborough. 
  • Loros, Loughborough. 
  • Loft, Loughborough. 
Potential subject matter...
luggage tags, keys, crockery, watches, clocks, cameras, fountain pens, ornaments, souvenirs, typewriters, picture frames, telephones, jewellery, glasses, tickets, shoes, corks, buttons, records, books, chairs, hats, suitcases, sports equipment, shirts, televisions, toys...

The ones highlighted in bold are the ones I think have potential. 

Subject matter decisions:
Cameras - I have been using cameras to experiment in my sketchbook. I like that they resemble the idea of capturing a memory, it relates to dementia well. 
Telephones - This resembles communication. People suffering with dementia struggle to communicate with other people and the world around them, not only because of confusion but also because of speech difficulties in sever cases. The telephone also connects to the technological advancements of the 50s, the style of the phones I will draw will reflect this era. 
Keys - I think keys represent the home and places that are familiar to you. They represent responsibility and independence which are both things that are lost by someone with dementia. Keys are also things that people lose al the time so they connect to the idea of memory loss and general confusion. 

If I have time I would like to add more objects to this list but at the moment, these three are the focus. 

Synthesis with essay...
When making decisions about subject matter I found torn between objects that conceptually/metaphorically represent something relating to the issue of dementia (cameras resembling memories for example) and objects that would just 'look good'. These final decisions I am making about the last stages of my project are the ones that are causing the most conflict for me in relation to the brief. Do I go with images that most strongly reflect the issue or do I choose the ones that are most marketable? At the moment I feel like I am finding a middle ground but some of the conceptual links to the issue are rather tenuous. Maybe marketability is taking priority and I'm just trying to convince myself that its not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment