Friday 6 January 2017

Final Crit Feedback

Presentation boards as shown at final crit



Feedback


  • Things don't need to be repeated on blog and presentation boards. 
  • Summative statement is good. 
  • Blog my mockups and most recent practical work. 
  • Blog about what I am definitely going to make. 
  • Cut down the information on my boards. 
  • Make finals into a product catalogue format for presenting. 
  • Alter research board to concept and themes board. Include vintage trend research in this. 
I found this feedback really constructive and I feel like I know exactly what I need to be doing to get everything finished on time. I am pleased the idea of a book of products got a good response as it conveys my concept better that presentation boards would. I will still be producing presentation boards but about the concept and development of the project building up to this point.

Self Evaluation

What have I learned from this module?

1. A wholly socially responsible and selfless practice is just not achievable as an earning professional. It has made me think differently about how I tackle social issues in the future as it has made it clear to me that just mentioning what is happening in the world doesn't bring change.

2. It has made me think more about the effect the application of imagery can have on the overall concept of a project. I think I finally understand the true importance of context and how it can really impact on the message of my work. Choosing appropriate or inappropriate places to display work can really alter the impact it has on the audience. In effect, the contextualisation of my work is what actually answers the whole brief in this project, the images alone would only be touching the surface.

3. My view on image making has evolved more towards shape for this module. I always steer towards line, its just what I do and its how I translate what I see onto paper. This module has made me think about breaking down images into shapes and showing how forms can be made from flat shapes with no outlines at all. I think this is something I can see influencing my work in the future. I have already been thinking about the potential of taking these into screen print or even just improving on my painting. There is more to life than line!

4. I feel like I have learned from my mistakes in level 4 and 5 cop modules. I would always leave my practical work right to the last minute and it suffered because of this. I feel like I have finally learned my lesson and have really forced myself to keep my practical going while still essay writing. There may have been dry spells where the practical work was lacking but I do feel the two parts have worked well in parallel especially in the later stages of the project and this has led to a more cohesive project as a whole. 

5. Stressing only makes things worse. I am really surprised at how level headed I have been about this module. The idea of a dissertation was daunting enough, let alone with a practical project that needed to fit in with it. I think I am finally learning that stressing about work doesn't make the situation any better. Only doing the work makes things better. I think I am getting better at realistically evaluating what is important and what isn't. Looking back, my time management has probably helped with this, sticking to smaller deadlines within the module has meant I haven't been falling behind. 

What could I have improved about my approach to this module?

1. It's easy to say in hindsight that it would have been better if I had clarified the brief for my final practical project earlier. It would have allowed me more time to develop the visuals. However, maybe the conceptual development may have suffered and I am glad I spent the time getting this straight in my head. 

2. I think audience is something I struggled with. I knew the practical outcomes needed to fit the vintage trend but I didn't realise how wide the audience is that this appeals to. I stated young adults but realistically I think some of these products would be appropriate for a market slightly older than this too. 

3. My intention all along was to use digital mockups to show my designs in context. What I didn't take into account was the style of mockups that would be available to me online. I have tried my best to select ones which fit the overall style of the work and the vintage trend but some do look a little too polished in my opinion. I suppose this widens the scope of appeal but it also makes the presentation book a little less unified. The thing to improve here would be preparation and planning ahead, maybe taking some of my own photographs or learning some ways to alter the images to a greater extent to fit my theme. 

4. In hindsight, I feel like it may have been more appropriate for my brief to actually be for an existing brand. I know I have kind of created my own brand but I think using an existing one may have conveyed my idea better. It would have also given me a target audience and price range to work to which may have been more appropriate to the concept of a 'commercial brief' than deciding these myself. 

5. Looking back I wish I had been more experimental with media and not just stuck to working in my sketchbook. Lino printing experimentation came a little too late but I realised that there was so much more I could have done to drive the practical side of this project, especially in the realm of traditional printing. The essay always seems to take priority and I think this is because it is the part I find hardest so I know I need to spend more time on it. It's hard to find the perfect balance. 

What actions will I take in response to the peer review session?

1. I can now go ahead to complete my final product which is a catalogue for my product range. I still have time to get this printed in the print dungeon and I am planning on binding this by hand as single sheets so the book lies perfectly flat. 

2. Reflect on how this project has affected my view on illustration. It has provoked some real thought into the authenticity of a socially conscious practice and I think it would be good just to summarise how I feel this will affect my own practice. 

3. Edit my presentation boards as suggested in my feedback and get these printed A2 using the digital print drop off service. 

4. Make a few alterations to my summative statement. I got good feedback on it but there were a few notes to improve. I think I could make it a bit clearer and written a bit better. 

5. BLOG. I am almost up to date on my blog but so much has happened in this past week that it is not all up to date. I need to make sure my blogposts are especially evaluative at this late stage in the project because I need to start tying the whole thing together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment