Wednesday 4 January 2017

Linocut Printing



I cut all my lino pieces from reference photographs. Each piece itself if representative of the right shapes, the idea for this is that the misplacement of lino pieces will cause the confusion in the image. 

I had used gouache for a text print in a previous module and it had failed. However, I knew that for this brief I wasn't looking for a perfectly printed outcome so I gave it another go. (red and orange print) It does just look messy. I think the hard part with this project is finding the balance between a confused and mis-matched image and something that looks well crafted and considered. I don't want to compromise on the quality of my outcomes. Gouache is not going to work. 

I printed my linos in the print room with the proper inks and the results were much better. I was going into this thinking these could be used instead of my previous gouache paintings or maybe combined with them as a collaged element. I think this process has some merits, I like how the image is still recognisable as a camera even though lots of the components are missing and the remaining ones are places awkwardly. 

I feel like I have started with this process a little too late into the module. I would have loved to have carried on with this process and see how I could push it but its just not realistic at this late stage. 

What have I learned from this?
  • Not a good example of time management - why am I still experimenting at this point? I should be working towards the production of my final pieces. 
  • The process of printing these in stages has helped me figure out how to tackle placing each of my image elements. The shift and mis-matching of the pieces has created an effect I like and I think I can translate this into my gouache work. 
  • It has also made me consider the minimalism of some of these prints. There really aren't many elements present on the page yet the image still works - remember not to get caught up in little details! It works better without showing everything and it fits the concept too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment