Sunday 2 October 2016

Chapters and what I need to research (Task)

I tried to list all the things I needed to research and as I was doing this, a structure was naturally forming leading me towards figuring out the chapters my dissertation can be divided up into. I am sure this plan will evolve a long way from its current state as I continue to research and figure things out. But for now, I have a structure I am happy with and I can get on with being more focussed in my research. 

Introduction 
Illustration as a form of communication. 
Illustration being used to target social issues. 
Social responsibility as a concept.
Why is it relevant today? Why is it relevant to art?

Consumer culture. 
What techniques are used to sell products?
Creating an emotional response through illustration. 
What triggers an emotional response and what is the effect of this on people’s attitude towards purchasing?

Understanding morals. 
Give and take society. 
The conscience of a creative. 
Do artists have the power and status to make a difference more so than others?
Personal and professional morals. 

Money.
illustration is a job.
Does money taint the act of doing something good?
Is making money or making a difference more important?
Can an illustrator afford to have strict morals?

Primary research into practitioners - (does this need to be a chapter or can the information gained from this be used to feed points in other chapters?)
Ask practitioners what their motives are and whether certain work attracts more of an interest.
Who would be relevant to ask about this?

Case Study - Untied Colors of Benetton
How did their campaigns towards social change impact on their sales figures?
Did the company itself have good corporate morals?
What was their actual motive?

Conclusion
Summarise the points I have made previously. 
Answer the question based on the research I have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment