Monday 4 April 2016

Publication Starting Points

I am starting to think of school-based examples for these categories. This should help me generate ideas for imagery and text. The safeguarding category is linked to preventing extremism but this is a difficult thing to explain to children in this age range. I have expanded this to make it about feeling safe in school and knowing there are people there to help you.

Democracy

school council vote

Rule of Law
teacher’s authority
senior executive team
general school rules

Individual Liberty
choosing what to eat at lunchtime
what to do at lunchtime 
after school clubs

Mutual Respect
holding doors open
please and thank you
helping others 

Tolerance of different beliefs and faiths 
learning about different cultures
being friends with others from different cultures

Safeguarding
Anti bullying service
Someone to talk to about problems at school or at home
to feel safe in school

I then started to write potential phrases to appear in the booklet. I am trying to simplify my language a lot to make it daily readable and not too wordy. These will most likely change through further stages of development. 

  • I can vote for who I want to be on the school council.
  • The school council listens to students and tries to make the school better for them. 
  • The school rules are there to make sure everyone is safe and treated fairly.
  • I can choose how I spend my lunchtimes and I can stay for clubs after school if I want to. 
  • I can choose what I eat for lunch. 
  • I have respect for other students and they respect me. 
  • I treat other children how I would like to be treated. 
  • We learn about many cultures and beliefs.
  • I am friends with children from all different backgrounds. 
  • I know there is someone to talk to if I have a problem. 
  • If I am worried about something inside or outside of school, I know I can talk to someone. 
  • I feel safe in school and I know that there are people to help me if I have a problem or if I feel worried. 
The way I have written these sentences makes it sound like a child is talking about their experience of school, this might be a good approach to take. It could involve creating a character or multiple characters to talk the reader through the values. On the other hand, it could sound a bit like the terms of an agreement. This is something I want to avoid as I don't want it to come across as too informal or intimidating. 



No comments:

Post a Comment