Sunday 24 April 2016

Sketchbook Work for Publication


After solidifying the text for my publication, I searched for reference imagery to work on. I have changed the ages and genders so that there is a good age range and an even split of male and female. I have focussed on young people and children as from my research for my essay, the concept of people taking on a more global identity is something more common in recent generations. Using younger people as the subject for the book implies that this is something that will become increasingly common in the future.

I must admit, my initial drawings for this were terrible. I was using fine liners and felt tips and I just felt a total lack of control over my lines. I felt I needed to loosen up so I changed to using ink and a brush. The results were still not high quality but at least I was getting somewhere, as I got into it there were a few drawings that I saw actually had potential. I liked the loose style the ink and brush was creating, it was relevant to the reportage-esque process I was trying to replicate. It was quick and to the point and helped make the images look like they had been drawn from life at an interview.

After some experiments with gouache and pencil crayon, I opted for a sketchy approach to using coloured pencils to add colour. Again, I felt this fitted with the idea that this has been done on location and the colour medium has been used minimally to capture the features of the face. 

At this point I changed one of my characters as I didn't feel that my book was showing enough racial diversity and this is something that is important to getting across the message of my book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment