Saturday 12 November 2016

Reading Dissertations

I went to the library to read through some dissertations, I wanted to pay particular attention to structure and how to write academically because I think this is what I am struggling with most at this point. 

Rebecca Williamson - 9654 words. 

Introduction - Clearly lays out what is going to be explored in the dissertation. It is okay to use phrases like 'within this dissertation...' and 'the aim is...'. She includes a subsection to introduce the topic of organ donation. 

Main Body - She ends a lot of paragraphs with questions which she then goes on to answer in the next paragraph. This is a good, clear way to show flow between the subjects in each paragraph. She end a chapter with 'the next chapter will...' which applies the same principle across the dissertation as a whole. Everything feels very connected and fluid. 

Conclusion - I noticed there was no quotes or references here. Do I need to have any by this point or is this purely showing my own opinion based on what I ave researched?

I picked out a couple of things that Rebecca used that sound relevant to my essay topic:
Why charities should abandon shock advertising - Regina Yau
The idea of 'virtue signalling'.

Joseph Boyd - 7110 words.

Introduction - He proposes his argument for the essay, it gives us an idea of what stance his is going to take on the subject, 'this essay argues that...'. 

Main body - There are short summaries at the end of each chapter tying up what has been learned from this section. It is a good way to keep everything concise and clear, it keeps the reader on track with their train of thought. 

Conclusion - There were no references here either. Is it okay to include any references in the conclusion if needed or should they all be in the main body and introduction instead? CHECK THIS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment